- Making time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g multi-coloured glace cherries, roughly chopped
- 75g flaked almonds
- 50g whole candied peel finely chopped
- 50g hazelnuts roughly shopped
- Two tablespoons plain flour
- 150g plain dark chocolate
Men make history and not the other way around, in periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurred when courageous, skilful leaders seized the opportunity to change things for the better.
– Harry S. Truman
- Put the butter and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and stir in all the remaining ingredients except the chocolate.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture, well-spaced apart on to 3 baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper. Flatten the mounds slightly, cook one baking sheet at a time in the centre of a preheated oven, 1800C, set timer for 7 minutes until the nuts are golden.
- After removing each baking sheet from the oven neaten and shape the edges of the cooked biscuit cutter over the top and rotating to smooth and tidy up the sides, leave to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof set over a saucepan of simmering water, peel the biscuits off the lining paper and arrange upside down on a wire rack, spoon the melted chocolate over the flat underside of the cookies and spread the surfaces level, leave to cool and harden.