- Making time 40 minutes
- Preparation time 20 minutes
- 250 g plain dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50 ml double cream
- 125 g unsalted butter
- Four eggs, separated
- 125 g caster sugar
- Two tablespoons cocoa powder sifted
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby-awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.
– Lemony Snicket
- Melt the chocolate, butter and cream together in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes
- Whisk the egg yolk with 75 g of sugar until pale and stir in the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl until softly peaking then whisk in the remaining sugar. Fold in the egg yolk mixture with sifted cocoa powder until evenly incorporated.
- Pour the cake mixture into an oiled based-line 23 cm spring-form cake tin that has been lightly dusted all over with a little extra cocoa powder. Bake in a preheated oven at 1800C and set the timer for 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out on a serving plate, and serve in wedges, while still warm, with whipped cream and strawberries.