- Preparation Time; 30 minutes
- Cooking time; 15 minutes
- Three teaspoons of instant coffee
- Two teaspoons boiling water
- 175g soft margarine
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- Half a teaspoon of baking powder
- Three eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 75g dark or white chocolate curls
A word of encouragement from a teacher to a child can change a life. A word of support from a spouse can save a marriage, an expression of support from a leader can inspire a person to reach her potential
– John C. Maxwell.
- Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water.
- Beat the remaining cake in a mixing bowl or a food processor until smooth, stir in the dissolved coffee, divide the mixture evenly among the greased and base-lined sections of 12-hole deep muffins tin and spread the surface level.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 180oC, set timer for 15 minutes until well risen and the cakes spring back when gently pressed with a fingertip, leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then loosen the edges, turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the lining paper, leave to cool completely.
- Turn each cake the right way up then slice in half horizontally, whip the cream until softly pecking then use to sandwich the cakes together in pairs and spread the remainder of the tops, sprinkle with the chocolate curls, these are best eaten on the day they are made.
- For mini Victoria sandwich cakes, omit the dissolved cappuccino coffee and add one teaspoon of vanilla essence to the cake mixture, fill the baked cakes with a layer of strawberry jam and 150 ml whipped double cream, and dust the tops with sifted icing sugar.