- Cooking time: 65 minutes
- Portion: 6 persons
- One lb./ 454g/ Two ¼ cup beans
- Two medium onions (chopped)
- One cup sweet corn
- One habanero pepper (chopped)
- Half cup palm oil
- Half medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- Half tablespoon sugar or sweetener of choice (optional but recommended)
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
– Fredrick Douglass
- calories 400kcal
- proteins 150g
- fats 24.9g
- carbohydrates 9.5g
- Start by washing the beans and put in a pot with water and bring to boil.
- Cook beans for about 30 mins then add salt/ bouillon, sugar/sweetener and half of the chopped onions.
- Cover pot and continue to cook, topping up the water a little at a time until the beans are fully cooked and soft.
- While the beans are cooking, prepare the onion-pepper medley base.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, sauté the other half of the chopped onions, chopped pepper and red bell pepper for about three minutes till the ingredients are soft and tender.
- Set aside until beans are fully cooked.
- When the beans are fully cooked, add in the sweet corn and reduce the heat to low.
- Then stir in the sauce and mix until well incorporated.
- If the beans are dry add a little water about ¼ of a cup allow to simmer for about a minute until some liquid bubbles to the top.
- Stir and turn off the heat.
- Serve warm as it is or combined with fried plantain or pap (corn pudding).