Prep: 15 minutes
Stand: 15 minutes
Broil: 12 minutes
Makes: 4 Sandwiches
- Quarter cup sliced dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- Two teaspoons olive oil
- One small red onion, sliced
- Twelve ounces boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut about 3⁄4 inch thick
- Quarter teaspoon garlic salt
- Quarter teaspoon ground black pepper
- Half cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- Two tablespoons light mayonnaise
- One tablespoon yellow mustard
- Four small whole wheat bagels, split and toasted (8 ounces total)
- calories 323 kcal
- protein 27g
- fat 10g
- carbohydrates 36g
- cholesterol 38mg
- sodium 524mg
- dietary fibre 6g
- Preheat broiler. Place dried tomatoes in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup or small bowl; add enough water to cover.
- Microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent (high) for 1 minute. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush oil on red onion slices. Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat with garlic salt and pepper. Arrange meat and onion slices on the unheated rack of a broiler pan.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 12 to 16 minutes for medium rare (145°F) or desired doneness, turning once halfway through broiling.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Thinly slice meat across the grain into bite-size strips.
- For sauce, drain and finely chop tomatoes. In a small bowl combine tomatoes, Half cup chopped onion, mayonnaise, and mustard.
- To serve, top bagel bottoms with salad greens. Top with meat, onion slices, sauce, and bagel tops.