Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Stand: 10 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- Eight ounces dried multigrain or whole wheat penne pasta
- One (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- Half cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- Quarter cup vegetable broth
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- Half cup raw cashews
- One 3⁄4 cups water
- One (15- to 16-ounce) can Great Northern beans, navy beans, or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- Two teaspoons lemon juice
- Half teaspoon dry mustard
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- Quarter teaspoon ground black pepper
- Half cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- calories 315 kcal
- protein 15g
- fat 8g
- carbohydrates 53g
- cholesterol 0mg
- sodium 198mg
- dietary fibre 10g
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Return to hot pan. Add spinach; toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine onion, broth, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place cashews in a food processor. Cover and process until finely ground.
- Add Half of the water; blend until smooth.
- Add onion mixture, beans, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cover and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining water. Stir bean mixture into pasta mixture.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until crumbs are toasted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.