Prep: 30 minutes
Freeze: up to 1 month
Thaw: 24 to 48 hours
Bake: 55 minutes
Makes: Two 6-serving casseroles
- One pounce dried penne pasta
- 5-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, undrained
- One 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- Two-third cup water
- Two-third cup tomato juice
- One teaspoon sugar
- One teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- Half teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon ground black pepper
- One pounds extra-lean ground beef
- One cup chopped onion (1 large)
- Half cup sliced pitted ripe olives
To serve one casserole:
- One cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- calories 322 kcal
- protein 25g
- fat 7g
- carbohydrates 39g
- cholesterol 53mg
- sodium 334mg
- dietary fiber 7g
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, tomato paste, the water, tomato juice, sugar, oregano, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks.
- Drain off fat. Stir tomato mixture into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in cooked pasta and olives.
- Divide the pasta mixture between two 3-quart casseroles.
- Cover with plastic wrap; cover with heavy foil. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw one casserole in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap; cover with foil.
- Bake about 55 minutes or until heated through, carefully stirring once.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese melts.