Prep: 40 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- Three Half cups dried whole grain rotini or penne pasta
- Twelve ounces uncooked Italian turkey sausage links (casings removed), uncooked ground turkey, or lean ground beef
- One (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- Half cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- Two (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- One (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- One-third cup water
- Quarter teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Quarter cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 ounce)
- Quarter cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- calories 349 kcal
- protein 16g fat 14g
- carbohydrates 40g
- cholesterol 34mg
- sodium 303mg
- dietary fibre 10g
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 3-quart casserole; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-quart Dutch oven cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is brown and vegetables are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks.
- Drain off fat. Add cooked pasta, tomatoes, tomato paste, the water, and red pepper flakes to sausage mixture in Dutch oven, stirring until combined.
- Transfer pasta mixture to prepared casserole.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until heated through.