Prep: 40 minutes
Bake: 37 minutes
Stand: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- Half cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- One teaspoon olive oil
- One (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- One (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- One tablespoon snipped fresh basil or Half teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- Two teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or Half teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- Twelve dried jumbo shell macaroni
- One (12.3-ounce) package extra-firm, silken-style tofu (fresh bean curd)
- Half cup finely shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese (2 ounces)
- Quarter cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg
- Quarter teaspoon ground black pepper
- Half cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- Two tablespoons shredded fresh basil (optional)
- calories 351 kcal
- protein 21g
- fat 8g
- carbohydrates 48g
- cholesterol 15mg
- sodium 536mg
- dietary fibre 5g
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried basil and oregano (if using), and salt.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Remove from heat; stir in snipped fresh basil and oregano (if using).
- Reserve 3⁄4 cup of the sauce; spread the remaining sauce in the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain.
- Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- For filling, place tofu in a blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Add Parmesan cheese, egg, and pepper.
- Cover and blend or process just until combined.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the filling into each pasta shell.
- Arrange filled shells, filling sides up, on sauce in baking dish. Spoon the reserved 3⁄4 cup sauce over shells.
- Bake, covered, about 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with shredded fresh basil.