- Making time 30 minutes
- Preparation time 25 minutes
- 175 g butter, at room temperature 175 g caster sugar
- Three eggs beaten
- 75 g ‘1 minute cook’ polenta
- 125 g ground almonds
- One teaspoon baking powder
- Grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 425 g can stone black cherries, drained
- 15 g flaked almonds
- Sifted icing sugar, to decorate
Keep your best wishes, close to your heart and watch what happens.
― Tony DeLiso
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually mix in alternate spoonsful of beaten egg and polenta. Stir in the ground almonds and baking powder then mix in the lemon rind and juice.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 18*28cm roasting tin, sprinkle the canned cherries over the top then the flaked almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 1800C, set timer for 30 minutes, until well risen, the cake is golden and springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip.
- Leave to cool in the tin, dust with sifted icing sugar then cut into 14 bars and lift out of the tin, store in an airtight tin for up to 2 days.