- Making time 15 minutes
- Preparation time 25 minutes
- 100 g butter at room temperature
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 g brown rice flour
- 100 g cornflour
For the caramel
- 100 g butter
- 50 g soft light brown sugar
- 397 g can condense milk
For the topping
- 100 g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 100 g plain dark chocolate, broken into pieces
We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us, and if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.
– Walter Mosley
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and creamy, then stir in the flours until well combined, press the shortbread into a 28 * 18 baking tin, then place in a preheated oven, 2000C set the timer for 12 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, place the caramel ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan and heat over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously until just beginning to darken, remove from the heat and leave to cool a little, and pour the caramel over the shortbread base and leave to cool completely.
- Melt the white and dark chocolate in a separate heatproof bowl set over saucepans of simmering water. When the caramel is firm, spoon alternate spoonfuls of the white and dark chocolate over the caramel, tap the tin on the work surface so that the different chocolates merge, and then use a knife to make swirls in the chocolate. Refrigerate until set, then cut into pieces.