- Making time 15 minutes
- Preparation time 25 minutes
- Two large mangos
- Four tablespoons apricot jam
- Grated rind and juice of 2 limes
- Two kiwi fruit, sliced
- 250 g soft margarine
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g light muscovado sugar
- 250 g self-rising flour
- Four eggs
We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us, and if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.
– Walter Mosley
- Cut a thick slice off each side of the mango to reveal the large flat central stone, cut the flesh away from the stone then peel and slice.
- Mix the apricot jam with the juice of 1 of the limes then spoon into the base of an 18*28 cm roasting tin lined with non-stick baking paper, arrange the mango and kiwi fruit randomly over the top.
- Put the lime rind and rest of the juice in a mixing bowl or food processor, add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth, spoon over the top of the fruit and spread the surface level, bake in a preheated oven, 1800C set the timer for 35 minutes until well risen, the cake is golden and springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then invert the tin on a wire, remove the tin and lining paper and leave to cool completely, cut into 20 pieces and serve warm whipped cream, this is best eaten on the day it is made.