- Making time 16 minutes
- Preparation time 40 minutes
- 375 g packet frozen
- Puff pastry, defrosted
- 250 ml double cream
- 150 g carton ready-made custard
- 200 g strawberries sliced
- 150 g raspberries
- Icing sugar, sifted, optional
It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. Furthermore, you cannot go on being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.
– C.S. Lewis
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into two strips, 10 * 30 cm. Space apart on a wetted baking sheet, prick with a fork and bake in a preheated oven, 2200, set timer 10-12 minutes until well risen
- Slice each strip in half horizontally, lift off the tops and place, cooked side downwards, on a separate baking sheet, bake all pieces for 4 minutes more to dry out the soft centres, leave to cool
- Whip the cream then fold in the custard and spoon over 3 of the pastry strips, arrange the strawberries and raspberries on top of each piece and then assemble, add the last pastry slice, if liked and dust with icing sugar.
- Transfer to a large serving plate, cut each custard slice into 4 to serve, these are best eaten on the day they are made.