- Time for Preparation; 20 minutes
- Time to allow it Cooked; 15 minutes
- 250g self-rising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- Three eggs
- Two tablespoons milk
- 100g butter, melted
Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
-HENRY VAN DYKE
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl then add half the sugar and the lemon and orange rind, lightly beat the eggs and milk together then add to the bowl with the melted butter, beat together until just smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the sections of a greased 12-hole deep muffin tin, bake in a preheated oven, 190oC, set timer for 15 minutes until well risen and the tops are craggy and firm to touch.
- Make the lemon and orange syrup, put the remaining sugar and grated citrus rind in a bowl, strain in the fruit juice then mix until the sugar has just dissolved.
- As soon as the cake comes out the oven loosen the edge and turn out, arrange in a shallow dish, prick the tops with a fine skewer or fork and drizzle the syrup over, little by little, until absorbed by the cakes, leave to cool. The cakes are best served on the day they are made.
- For lemon syrup cakes, make up the mixture with two lemons and bake as above, finishing with a lemon-only syrup, serve warm with vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert.