- Making time 30 minutes
- Preparation time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 125 g plain flour
- One and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- 125 g polenta
- Three eggs plus two egg whites
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 100 ml of vegetable oil
- 150 ml buttermilk
- For the red wine strawberries
- 300 ml red wine
- One vanilla pod split
- 150 g caster sugar
- Two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
You can’t stop the future you can’t rewind the past the only way to learn the secret ….is to press play.
– Jay Asher
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in the polenta and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar together in another bowl, using an electric whisk, for 3-4 minutes until pale and very thick. Fold in the polenta mixture, lemon rind and juice, vegetable oil and buttermilk to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and base-lined 25 cm spring-form cake tin. Bake in a preheated oven, 1800C, set timer for 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then loosen the edges, turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the lining paper, leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the red wine strawberries, put the wine, vanilla pod and sugar increased the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced syrup, leave to cool then stir in the balsamic vinegar and strawberries
- Cut the cake into slices and serve as a dessert with their syrup.