- Making Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 100g plain dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 75g ready-to-eat dried apricots, finely chopped
- 75g multi-coloured glace cherries, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied peel
- Ten trifle sponges
- Six tablespoons with rum cocoa powder, to decorate
Men make history and not the other way around, in periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurred when courageous, skilful leaders seized the opportunity to change things for the better.
– Harry S. Truman
- Mix the ricotta cheese with the icing sugar, whip the cream until it forms soft swirls then fold into the ricotta, reserve a few pieces of the chopped chocolate, apricots, cherries and candied peel and fold the rest into the ricotta mixture.
- Line an 18cm deep round cake tin with two pieces of clingfilm so that the base and sides are covered. Arrange half the trifle sponges over the base of the cake tin, trimming to fit. Moisten with half the rum.
- Spoon two-thirds of the ricotta mixture over the sponges and spread the surface level. Cover with the remaining rum spread the rest of the ricotta mixture on top and sprinkle the reserved chocolate and fruits, dust with cocoa powder, chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Loosen the edges and lift the cake out of the tin using the clingfilm, peel off the film and transfer to a serving plate, cut into thin wedges to serve. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.