- Making time 30 minutes
- Preparation time 20 minutes
- 175 g soft margarine
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g self-rising flour
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- Three eggs
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- Sifted icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling:
- Three tablespoons of lemon curd
- 150 ml double cream, whipped
Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby-awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.
– Lemony Snicket
- Beat all of the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl or a food processor until smooth
- Spoon the cake mixture evenly into 2 greased and base-lined 18 cm sandwich tins and spread the surface level. Bake in a preheated oven, 1800C set the timer for 20 minutes until well risen, the cake is golden brown and springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then loosen the edges, turn out on a wire rack and peel off the lining paper, leave to cool.
- Transfer one of the cakes to a serving plate and spread with lemon curd, spoon the whipped cream on top then cover with the remaining cake, dust the top of the cake lightly with sifted icing sugar, this is best eaten on the same day it is baked.