- Preparation Time; 25 minutes
- Cooking time; 18 minutes
- 125g soft margarine
- 125g caster sugar
- Two eggs are beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 175g icing sugar sifted
- Pink food colouring
- Sugar flowers, to decorate
You are braver than you believe and more durable than you seem, a smarter than you think.
– A.A. Milne
- Beat the margarine, sugar, eggs, flour and lemon rind in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly among foil cake cases arranged in a 12-hole deep muffin tin and spread the surface level, bake in a preheated oven, 180oC, set timer for 18 minutes until golden and the cake spring back when gently pressed with a fingertip, leave to cool in the tin.
- Mix the icing sugar with five teaspoons of the lemon juice to make a smooth thick, spreadable paste, trim the tops of the cakes level if need be, spoon half the icing over half the cakes and mix into a soft layer with a wetted round-bladed knife.
- Colour the remaining icing pale pink or any colour of your choice and spoon it over the remaining cakes decorate with handmade pastel-coloured flowers stamped out from ready-to-roll icing, leave to harden for 30 minutes, and store in a sealed tin for up to 3 days.