Prep: 45 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes
Stand: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- Nine dried whole grain lasagnes noodles
- Two (8- or 9-ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and well drained
- Quarter cup pine nuts
- Four cloves garlic, minced
- One tablespoon olive oil
- One (15-ounce) carton light ricotta cheese
- One-Half cups reduced-fat shredded Italian blend cheeses or part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- One cup snipped fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- One egg
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- One cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Quarter cup all-purpose flour
- Two cups fat-free milk
- Chopped fresh tomato (optional)
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
– Harry S. Truman
- calories 330 kcal
- protein 21g
- fat 12g
- carbohydrates 35g
- cholesterol 52mg
- sodium 431mg
- dietary fibre 8g
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook lasagnes noodle according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook artichokes, pine nuts, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until artichokes, nuts, and garlic start to brown, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in ricotta cheese, Half cup of the Italian blend cheese, Half cup of the fresh basil or 1 tablespoon of the dried basil, the egg, and salt.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan whisk together chicken broth and flour until smooth. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce is slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining Half cup fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil.
- Pour 1 cup of the sauce into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with three of the cooked lasagnes noodles. Spoon one-third of the ricotta mixture (about 11⁄3 cups) over noodles in dish; carefully spread evenly over the noodles.
- Top with one-third of the remaining sauce (about 2⁄3 cup). Sprinkle with 1⁄3 cup of the remaining Italian blend cheese. Repeat layers twice more, beginning with the lasagnes noodles and ending with the Italian blend cheese.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with tomato and parsley.