- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 100g plain flour
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice or mixed spice
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 50g butter, diced
- 50g caster sugar
- Two tablespoons of golden syrup
You are braver than you believe and more durable than you seem, a smarter than you think.
– A.A. Milne
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and lemon rind in a mixing bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, add the syrup then mix first with a spoon then squeeze the crumbs together with your hands to form a ball.
- Shape the dough into a log then slice it into 12, roll each piece into a ball and arrange it on two large greased baking sheets, leaving space between for them to spread during cooking.
- Cook one baking sheet at a time in the centre of a preheated oven at 180oC, set the timer for 10 minutes or until the biscuit tops are cracked and golden
- Leave fairings to harden for 2 minutes then loosen and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, store in a sealed tin for up to 3 days.