- Making time 48 minutes
- Preparation time 20 minutes
- Two eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g plain flour
- 75 g ground almonds or hazelnuts
- One heaped teaspoon baking powder
- Grated rind of 2 limes
- Pinch of salt
- 40 g shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 25 g hazelnuts
Keep your best wishes, close to your heart and watch what happens.
― Tony DeLiso
- Whisk the egg and sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and frothy. Using a wooden spoon, slowly work in the flour, ground almonds or hazelnuts, baking powder, lime rind and salt.
- Add the chopped pistachios, hazelnuts and knead lightly to form a soft dough, shape the dough into a thick log, 25 cm long and 10 cm wide, then flatten it slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven, 1800C, set timer for 35 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 5 mm thick slices using a serrated knife.
- Arrange the biscotti directly on a grill pan and cook under a preheated low grill for 4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.