- Preparations time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250 ml of water
- 250g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- Two tablespoons of cocoa powder shifted
- ½ tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- Two tablespoons of instant coffee
- 225g self-raising flour
- Two eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 chocolate-coated coffee beans, to decorate
For the icing:
- 150g plain dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 150g unsalted butter, diced
- Two tablespoons of golden syrup
You are braver than you believe and more durable than you seem, a smarter than you think.
– A.A. Milne
- Put the water and sugar in a saucepan and gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the butter, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and instant coffee and bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat the flour and eggs into the cooled coffee and chocolate mixture until smooth, divide the dough evenly among foil cake cases arranged in a 12-hole deep muffin tin, bake in a preheated oven, 180oC, and set timer for 20 minutes until risen and firm, Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the icing, put the chocolate, butter and syrup in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring until melted, remove from the heat and leave to cool to room temperature, then chill until thickened. Spread over the cupcakes, top with a chocolate coffee bean and leave to set.